1 Island Square is a traditional, beautiful, fisherman’s house located in the heart of Downalong, St. Ives. The house is on three floors. Upstairs the house has three bedrooms and a bathroom. On the ground floor is a spacious living room and entrance hall and on the lower ground floor there is a spacious dining room area and kitchen.
The house sleeps five people.
- You will be supplied with full linen including towels, quality duvets, sheets and pillow cases. We do not supply beach towels.
- The cottage is non-smoking.
- We do not allow any pets in the house.
- The house has full gas central heating. The living room also has a stylish coal effect gas fire.
- The house is situated at 1 Island Square, postcode TR26 1NX. It is 500m from the centre of town, 30m from the Harbour, and close to the beaches and The Tate. The Island car park is 100m away. The nearest beach is the harbour beach visible from the back door but most beaches are very close. The Norway Stores which sells basic food and supplies is a short walk away. Close to the house is also the well known Steven’s fishmonger which sells fresh Cornish fish,salads and sandwiches. On the square there is a small cafe called Olive’s specialising in very good cream teas, lovely cakes and light lunches. There are also two art galleries.
- There is a wide variety of restaurants and fast food outlets only a few minutes walk away. These vary from home made pasties to the acclaimed Porthminster Beach Cafe.
- The nearest major supermarket, Tesco is approximately 2 miles away (or a ten minute drive). Tesco’s has a delivery service.
- There is a bus station at the Malakoff approximately a 12 minute walk away and the train station is close to it. The train line from St. Erth to St. Ives is cut into the hillside and overlooks the beautiful coastline. If you visit we definitely suggest you take advantage of this spectacular train route (click here to find train times.)
- The house is situated along a narrow street. All sizes of cars will be able to reach the property, although there are tight turns and some narrow roads.
- There is a stopping area just outside the house where you can stop to unload. However, this is not a permanent parking position and you will need to move off and park as soon as you have finished unloading. We strongly recommend putting on your hazard lights or putting a note in the window while you are unloading.
About the property
- The property has mains powered smoke detectors throughout. They are linked together so if one is triggered they will all go off. The kitchen also has a heat detecting alarm.
- There are two external entrances to the house. The front door (which is up three steps) and the back entrance through a courtyard. You have full right of way through the courtyard.
- The house has a high speed wireless internet connection. Access is password protected, but you will receive the password on arrival.
The ground floor
- As you go in through the front door you have a large spacious entrance room on the left, and a large living room on the right. The entrance area has a desk, space to hang coats and a large mirror.
- The floor is wooden on the ground floor.
- The stairs to the bedrooms and bathroom are straight ahead. There are fifteen steps to the first floor.
- The living room has two comfortable sofas, a 37 inch HD ready TV with freeview and remote and a modern high quality stereo. The TV also has a Blu-Ray player which can also play DVDs. The mini hi-fi has a FM/DAB radio, CD player and iPod docking station.
- There is a large selection of books and games which can be freely used by guests.
- The window bays have comfortable cushions so you can sit there and watch people walking by.
The kitchen/dining area
- The kitchen/dining room area is located down 10 narrow steep steps from the ground floor. There is a solid low hanging beam. The kitchen has a range style five burner cooker with double oven and grill, and a microwave. The kitchen comes complete with cutlery, crockery, glasses and mugs . All cooking equipment is provided. The kitchen also has a dishwasher and combined washing machine/tumble dryer.
- There is a large fridge freezer and a storage/pantry area.
- In the kitchen /diner there is 32 inch TV with remote.
- The kitchen floor is traditional Cornish tiling. In the dining room area it is polished wood.
- Light is provided by recessed eco-friendly LED lighting.
The first floor
- The first floor consists of three separate bedrooms and a bathroom.
- The floors and steps are completely carpeted except for the bathroom.
- The bathroom is equipped with a heated towel rail and airing cupboard There are no steps into the bathroom.
- The bedrooms consist of a double, twins and one single. Each room has a wardrobe and chest of drawers. The double bedroom has a 19 inch television with Freeview and a DVD player.
- You are kindly requested to leave the property by 10am on your day of departure.
- The property should be left clean and tidy. You may have to pay extra for any extra cleaning.